Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Sound of Crickets

Have you ever been in a situation where a question is posed and the response is an awkward silence?  That awkward silence is sometimes referred to as the "sound of crickets". 

My path in life is leading me toward an awkward silence so the "Sound of Crickets" seems an appropriate name for my musings.  The fact that my uncle nicknamed me "Cricket" is coincidental.  He dubbed me "Cricket" because, as an infant, I reminded him of Jiminy Cricket with my two large front teeth and big brown eyes. 

In addition to brown eyes, I arrived with two well functioning ears.  I noticed in college that I had challenges understanding speech at times.  I later was diagnosed with neurosensory hearing loss, a genetic condition acquired from the paternal side of my family.  Last week I discovered that the rate of my hearing loss has accelerated.  Personally, there are some things that should accelerate... such as my "Racing Red" Ford Mustang.  One thing is certain:  I refuse to be a bystander on the pier, waving farewell as my hearing glides away on the ebb tide. 

It's time to pull the Plan B Playbook from my back pocket.  Learning American Sign Language with my husband should be entertaining.  We may even videotape our efforts for laughs.  ASL is an alternative method of communication so it's a must on my list.  My current ASL vocabulary is limited to "I love pizza".  Food first, right?

Continuing in my current career will become challenging as my hearing diminishes so I must prepare for a new career path.  The field of Communications should provide opportunities to research, write, edit, and design... all non-verbal skills.  To be competitive, I need to complete a degree in journalism which is easily within reach.  I've utilized business and legal writing skills in my profession so a detour onto the path of creativity gives rise to a sense of adventure.   

While I have no experience blogging, I hope that this effort will chronicle my journey, provide an instrument by which I can develop myself as a feature writer, and allow me to share information with others on the same path.  Needless to say, having a little fun on the way is a must.  After all, life is an adventure.

"Well, I see big adventures coming their way! Looks like it’s up to me to keep track of it all in my journal!" - Jiminy Cricket


No comments: