Monday, October 6, 2014

Technology and Garlic Bread

I recall when our television options expanded from ABC, CBS, and NBC to include PBS.  Four channels!  Amazing!  Times have changed and technology continues to evolve.  Now my car tells me when I'm low on gasoline, some disembodied female dictates directions to my destination, and social media has provided avenues to re-connect with old friends and keep up with family news.  Sometimes technology is a good thing.  Sometimes I'm not so sure.  While those four channels cost nothing more than the electricity to power the television, we now pay a hefty price for over 100 channels when we find only a few worth watching.

Today I was introduced to new technology that I find fascinating:  Bluetooth enabled hearing aids.  I don't have the knack of it yet.  I'm a low tech girl in a high tech world.  I see possibilities with this technology, though, and am looking forward to learning how to pair them (I'm learning the lingo) with my laptop so I can hear YouTube gardening videos without my husband fleeing the room. 

Thanks to the knowledge and expertise of Dr. M., I used these gadgets to participate in several telephone conversations today.  I also listened to music from my cell phone.  The clarity of sound is amazing.  When the Bluetooth is engaged, the hearing aid speakers turn off so that ambient noise is not competing with the audio.  More surprising is that others can hear me through a little box I wear.

I realized tonight, however, that I should be careful where and how I use this new technology.  In anticipation of a lovely Italian dinner, I stopped at the local grocery store to purchase a loaf of garlic bread.  While at the check-out, it occurred to me to call home and ask my husband to pre-heat the oven.  I removed my cell phone from my purse long enough to hit the speed dial before returning it to its designated compartment.  When my husband answered the call, I went directly into the conversation.  Now I don't know if I called him "honey," "darling," or "baby."  I DO know, however, that the male cashier who was scanning my purchase glanced at me inquisitively several times.  I suppose I did look strange.  So I'm putting everyone on notice.  If you see me walking around seemingly talking to myself, don't worry.  I'm just hearing voices... clear, non-metallic sounding, real voices.  And it's a good thing.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name."  Psalm 103:1


No comments: