Friday, October 3, 2014

Autumn... Finally!

Autumn may have commenced September 23rd, but Fall came to my neighborhood today.  This is my favorite time of year because it appeals to all of my senses.

When I was young, my family took a road trip to this part of the state every autumn to see the colorful trees.  Now I'm blessed to live here.  In a couple of weeks, I will re-enact a favorite annual event.  Less than a mile from my home is a roadway that traverses down a hill.  There is much anticipation as I crest the hill and behold the mountains, their trees arrayed in reds, oranges, yellows, and greens.  The intensity of their colors is heightened by the morning sun.  I enjoy this daily trek while the display continues even if it's only for a short while.

County and state fairs are taking or have taken place.  The thought of cotton candy melting on my tongue makes my mouth water.  The memories are so real that I look down at my hands, expecting them to be sticky with the sweet confection.  The scent of popcorn wafts through the air, mixing with the sweet smell of hay and the not-so-sweet odor of livestock.  Screams of delight and/or terror drift overhead as the loud clackety clack of generators keep their own beat.  Now and then you hear the honking of geese as they travel south under the light of the harvest moon.  I enjoy the soft warmth of fleece against my skin as I snuggle into a comfy sweatshirt.

Cool weather ushers in thoughts of hot apple cider and oatmeal raisin cookies enjoyed in front of a crackling fire, cuddled with hubby under a quilt pieced by the loving hands of my grandparents while songs of a long ago era playing on a modern radio echo throughout the room.

It's the season of the pumpkin.  Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin rolls with cream cheese filling... YUM!  I'm not one to carve a pumpkin into ol' Jack, although I appreciate the artistic talents of those who have taken pumpkin carving to a higher level.  I'm a Libby's pumpkin gal... just plain pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie filling.  I like to add my own seasonings as I prefer a bit more spice. 

Second to pumpkins are apples.  Apple pie, apple cobbler, baked apples, spiced apple cider, caramel apples (which I prefer over candied applies), and simply slices of a Honey Crisp apple which is my current favorite.

Yes, this is my favorite time of year.  Until the bitter cold of winter arrives, I'll enjoy the sights, tastes, feel, and yes, the sounds of autumn.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."  Ecclesiastes 3:1


No comments: